Accidental Damage Cover

insurance - home insurance - resources - images - Painting a wall

According to our latest figures, the most common settled household claim was for Accidental Damage, find out more about Accidental Damage cover.

What is Accidental Damage Cover?

Smashing your favourite vase or spilling a tin of paint on your carpet is probably something which you didn't mean to do - these little mishaps are what we consider to be Accidental Damage.

According to our latest figures from 2019, the most common reported household claim was for Accidental Damage. Over 23,500 claims were made for a variety of accidents, from red wine on the carpet and broken television screens to a foot through the ceiling. In 2018, Mintel suggested that 48% would most likely pay for Accidental Damage as additional cover on their policy.

While it’s entirely possible that they’ve never had an accident or live in a house completely free of breakables, the facts suggest that Accidental Damage is additional cover that’s worth considering.

In 2019, approximately 38% of all our claims made were for Accidental Damage of some sort, some of the most common were:

  • Over 13,000 claims for general accidents such as spilling wine on the carpet or putting a foot through the ceiling.
  • Over 4,500 claims for accidental damage to personal possessions away from the home
  • Over 1,750 claims for accidental damage to glass, such as oven doors, mirrors and to sanitaryware
  • Over 3,750 claims for accidental damage to TV's, computers and business equipment

Our Gold Home Insurance policy includes Accidental Damage cover as standard with the option to add this cover to our Silver policy for an additional premium.

If you need to cover personal possessions against Accidental Damage away from your home, we provide optional cover for an additional premium.

Every insurance policy, including ours, will have limitations and exclusions. So it's a good idea to check with your insurer what you're covered for.

With our Buildings and Contents cover, under Accidental Damage, we wouldn't cover damage caused by domestic pets, damage caused by tenants, lodgers or paying guests or damage caused by water entering the building.

Think before you DIY

Even if you consider yourself the handy type, it’s worth thinking about what's included in your insurance policy and whether you’re covered for accidental damage, before you embark on any sort of DIY around the home.

Find out more about our Home Insurance.

Always be cautious when undertaking any task that you're not fully familiar with as you could injure yourself or those around you, seek professional help where required.