- The value of your estate is below the threshold at which Inheritance Tax is applied, or
- You leave everything to your spouse or civil partner, or
- You leave everything to an exempt beneficiary, such as a charity.
- The amount on which inheritance tax will be charged is £275,000 (£600,000 minus the £325,000 threshold).
- At the general rate, the tax payable will be £110,000 (40% of £275,000).
- The general rate can be reduced to a rate of 36% on some assets if the deceased leaves 10% or more of the 'net value' to charity in their will.
- Annual £3000 allowance
- Normal expenditure out of income
- Lifetime direct gifts with no immediate IHT. Some lifetime gifts are subject to IHT (i.e. those made to discretionary trusts that are above the NRB), this is at a reduced rate.
- Taper Relief can mean that gifts given in the 7 years prior to the gift giver's death can result in a tax charge below 40%.
- Death benefits from a pension can be subject to Inheritance Tax if the estate has a legal right to the payment, or the member can dictate to whom any benefit is paid
- There is a lifetime transfer made of the death benefit when the member is in ill-health
- If you’ve taken your tax-free cash, but don’t spend or gift it before you pass away, it will be included within your estate and IHT may be charged
When do you pay Inheritance Tax?
How much money can you give away without incurring an inheritance tax charge?
What is effective Inheritance Tax planning?
Where can I find more information on Inheritance Tax planning?
Pension Wise from MoneyHelper
The Government’s free and impartial service, offering guidance to make money and pension choices clearer.
To find out more or book an appointment online click below or call.
0800 100 166
8am to 8pm, Monday to Friday.
Calls may be recorded and monitored.
Speak with us
Our colleagues in Cardiff are always happy to answer your questions or tell you about our retirement income products.
0800 048 2446
Monday to Friday
9am to 5pm
We may record and monitor calls.
Find an independent financial adviser in your area through Unbiased.